Galilee Baptist Church got its start back in 1952 when a small group of believers began to meet in the home of Reverend Frank Loomis, a retired minister living in Saranac. Together they prayed about the need for a fundamental Bible-teaching church in this community. In 1954 they began meeting at Waterville School, with an average Sunday morning attendance of 25. On February 27, 1955, Galilee Baptist Church of Saranac was constituted and attendance averaged around 50. The name "Galilee" was chosen because the Lord's work abounded in Galilee and it was their hope that the same type of work would continue here in Saranac.
In 1957 land was purchased on the corner of Pleasant and Orchard street in Saranac and soon construction began. On January 8, 1958, the first service was held in the new church building. In 1963, six Sunday School rooms were added. We celebrated ten years as a church in 1965, with Pastor James Frank as the new pastor. In 1969 a parsonage was purchased and the new sanctuary and basement were constructed.
In 1981 the church mortgage was burned. In 1985 an educational wing and gymnasium were constructed. In October of 2004, after 40 years of ministry, Pastor Frank retired. On February 27, 2005, the church celebrated their 50th anniversary with the theme "Praising God for 50 years." Former pastors and their wives, Donald and JoyAnn Walker, Karl and Irene Pike, James and Beth Frank, and interim pastor Dennis and Joyce Boonstra were all present to help us celebrate. In the spring of 2005, the mortgage was paid in full leaving Galilee debt free. In the summer of 2005, Andy and Kathi Mooren came to Galilee with Andy becoming the new Pastor. They served God and the people of Galilee faithfully until 2020. In September of 2022, Ryan and Alyssa Morter came to Galilee becoming the new senior pastor. At the end of the day, we are here for the glory of God and the sake of others!